Saturday 8 June 2024

Sweet Cinnamon Apple Peel Crisps

A tasty treat from apple peelings!

Instead of throwing them in the compost heat, why not give this a go?


I've been making morning smoothies for everyone, and I've been peeling the apples in them as my children say they're 'bitty' when I add unpeeled apples. So, now I make a little bowl or container of acidulated water (just water, with a good squeeze of lemon juice), and peel the apples in relatively similar sized peices of peel (I go around the top and bottom in two strokes each, then vertically around the apple). Then, when I have three, I make this naughty little treat!! N.B. Apples with pink / red skins make pretty crisps - I like Gala, Braeburn etc.

Ingredients

  • Apple skin peelings from 3 apples
  • 1-1.5 (15ml) tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Method

1. When peeling your apples, try to peel in relatively uniform sized peelings, around 2-3 inches. Keep in acidulated water until you're ready to cook them (I did this over three days, and saved my peelings from smoothies).

2. Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 2. Line a large baking tray with greaseproof baking paper (easiest to give a quick spray or wipe with oil, so the paper sticks). Remove your apple peelings from the acidulated water (or rinse them if you're using them immediately, so you have some moisture for the sugar and cinnamon to cling to).

3. Mix the sugar and cinnamon together thoroughly. Put the drained apple skins onto the baking sheet. Sprinkle over the cinnamon sugar, and toss the skins in it until thoroughly coated. Spread out across the baking sheet so that none are touching each other.

4. Put into the middle of the oven, and bake for 30 minutes. Turn the oven down to gas mark 1, turn over all of the skins (beware, they'll be sticky at this point!), and cook for a further 15 minutes. 


5.
Remove from the oven and leave to cool. They'll become crispier once cool. When they're completely cool, store in an airtight container, and enjoy as a treat, or a decoration for anything apple-y!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Recipes

If you liked this recipe, you may also like these...