This is an authentically flavoured Jamaican Curry powder, perfect for dishes like 'Curry Goat'
The curry powder itself is mild, and you add the heat to the curries with chillies - namely scotch bonnet chillies!
The main ingredient which denotes it as a Jamaican curry powder, is the allspice (also known as pimenton), a fundamental flavouring in many Jamaican dishes.
This will make approximately 135g of curry powder (using 15ml tablespoon measures), and for example, you'd use approximately 1/2 tbsp per person for curry goat at approximately 10 calories per 1/2 tbsp.
- 4 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
- 4 whole star anise
- 1 tbsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tbsp allspice berries
- 1 tsp cloves
To add to toasted spices once cool
- 1/2 nutmeg
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 5 tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- Spice/coffee/nut grinder or pestle and mortar, or food processor capable of grinding spices
(See below for Thermomix instructions in italics)
1) Toast the whole spices (coriander, cumin, mustard, star anise, fenugreek, allspice and cloves) in a dry frying for a few minutes, over a medium heat, until they become fragrant - be careful not to burn / scorch them.
2) Tip straight out of the pan onto a plate to cool, and leave for 5 or 10 minutes.
3) Once cool, add to your spice grinder or pestle and mortar with the rest of the ingredients (you may find it easiest to grate the nutmeg by hand), and grind into a fine powder (obviously if you have a small grinder, you may need to split into batches). Store in an airtight container to preserve the flavour. Generally speaking, you'll require approximately half a 15ml tbsp per person for something like curry goat.
1) Toast the whole spices (coriander, cumin, mustard, star anise, fenugreek, allspice and cloves) for 10 minutes / Varoma temperature (TM5 120C) / Speed 2 until they become fragrant.
2) Tip straight out of the bowl onto a plate and leave for 5 or 10 minutes until cool.
3) Once cool, add back to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients, put a piece of kitchen towel on top of the lid before putting the measuring cup on, and grind for 1 minute / Speed 10, until it is a fine powder. Store in an airtight container to preserve the flavour. Generally speaking, you'll require approximately half a 15ml tbsp per person for something like curry goat.